13 May 2016

JUNO CHART - May 2016


I'm getting worse at keeping up with my Juno Charts, particularly this blog review business. Which is OK because I suspect nobody's reading. But just in case...

You can listen to the whole thing HERE

***

1. JAMES DUNCAN . Brooklyn Beats Vol.1 (WNCL Recordings)
Any surprises that the latest release on WNCL made it to the number one spot on the WNCL chart? I  thought not. Listen to the clips and you'll hear why...



***
2. JUS JUST . Power (Misterio)
Misterio back on the mentalist gospel rant tip. One sided perfection.



***

3. BYRON THE AQUARIUS . High Life EP (Sound Signature)
Run Sa on the flip is my choice and the perfect soundtrack for some live drum astral travelling



***

4. BLAWAN . The Communicat 1022 EP (Ternesc)
Track 3, Lit Up Communicat, throws up a pleasantly soulful surpirse on this third insallment of Ternesc releases. My favourite in the series to date



***

5. MSLWTE . E121 EP (Orbis)
I heard clips of this on Sunil Sharpe's excellent Quarterly Crate review on YouTube. Track 2 is a fine slice of heavy heavy funk.



***

6. DEGO . Dego & The 2000 Black Family (Neroli)
A great schizophrenic package here. The A side's dripping with soul but it's great to hear Dego getting gnarly again with some dirt on the flipside



***

7. J CHOIRBOY / BEANER . Altar Ego EP (La Mission)
La Mission clearly on a roll right now. I would have thought I'd have plumped for the rave-tastic, breaks heavy lead cut but it's actually the chunky edit that closes the EP that wins it for me this time.



***
8. CHRISSY . The Right To Dance With Somebody (La Mission)
More La Mission goodies. Chrissy supplies the launch release for the Beans edit series with a seriously killer (and apt) A side cut.



***

9. SIMON WEISS . Tele Vision (Voyage Direct)
Conjures up warm nostalgic feelings from the golden days of pirate radio - I could almost be listening to Fantasy FM circa 89-90



***

10. J. TIJN . Half Empty Half Full EP (WNCL Recordings)
This month I couldn't quite muster up 10 brand new records that I liked enough to actually buy so I'm throwing my hat in again for the latest J Tijn release (again)



***

No comments: